Graduate Applications for 2020–2021 Spring Semester will be between December 21, 2020 – January 29, 2021. The registerations for admitted students will be between March 1-5, 2021.
Who can Apply?
Applicants who wish to pursue a degree at the Graduate School must hold;
- For Master of Science (M.S.) & Master of Arts (M.A.) applications, a bachelor's degree or awaiting graduation degree from bachelor
- For Doctorate (PhD) on Bachelor of Science (B.S.) applications, a bachelor's degree or awaiting graduation degree
- For PhD application, an M.S./M.A. (or an equivalent) degree or awaiting graduation from M.S./M.A.
How to Apply?
Application to all METU Graduate School programs will be made online in the link provided below:
- Log in to the link above and fill out the required fields in the Application Form.
- Submit the Online Application Form and the application process is complete.
- You can check your application status on the Main Page by logging in with your email address and password.
Please note: After finalizing your application, you are encouraged to check out the website of the related Graduate School and the Program for the interview dates and last-minute information.
Required Documents for Application
Detailed information about required Documents which will be uploaded to the online application system:
Application Fee Receipt
The application fee is 100 ₺ for the nationals of Turkey. For foreign nationals, the application fee is 55 $. You must upload scanned version of the receipt (.jpeg) or the online banking receipt (.pdf) to the online application form.
Exception: Applicants, who are enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program, do not have to pay for the application fee.
For a complete list of the bank account details to pay for the Application fee click here.
If you are making an international transfer:
Bank Address: T.C. İş Bankası, ODTÜ Şubesi, Üniversiteler Mahallesi, Dumlupınar Bulvarı, No:1, 06800, Ankara/Turkey
- Applicants who file more than one application must pay the application fee for each program.
- The applicants who want to withdraw their application within the application period can get their application fee back. Those applicants should apply to Graduate Schools with "Payment Refund Application Form". The forms should be filled online and be submitted along with the transaction receipts. The signed form and the receipt must be submitted to the responsible person (via email or in-person) announced in the Staff List for Applications. The deadline for submitting the form is the same date with the deadline for applications.
English Proficiency Exam Score
Applicants must have an English language proficiency score. YÖKDİL, YDS and e-YDS exams are not accepted. Scanned version of the exam scores (.jpeg) or the internet print of the exam scores (.pdf) must be uploaded to the online application system.
Accepted exams are:
- METU-EPE (METU English Proficiency Exam), provided by METU
- TOEFL IBT, provided by ETS
- IELTS (Academic Version)
- PTE Academic (Academic Version)
Exception: Native speakers (candidates who are citizen of a country with English as an official language), who studied in a university in which the language of instruction is English, are exempt from submitting a valid English language score. The applicants who satisfy these conditions can check the "I am a native speaker" box in the online application form.
Exception: Candidates registered to a graduate program at METU for at least one semester within the past four semesters as of the date of their application to a graduate program are not required to document their proficiency in English provided that they hold the score determined by the criteria of the program they are applying to.
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR 2020-2021 SPRING APPLICATIONS
Due to the measures taken against Covid-19, METU EPE will administered online. For detailed information, please click here.
All programs require Graduate Exam scores. To apply for a graduate program, applicants must have valid ALES, GRE or GMAT exam results that meet the minimum criteria of the programs. Check the exam types and minimum scores of the graduate exams designated by Programs and the Graduate School.
The exam results must be valid as of the date of application.
- For ALES taken prior to September 27, 2017, scores are valid for 5 years following the announcement of exam results. The test taken after this date are valid for 3 years following the announcement of exam results.
- GRE/GMAT certificate is valid for 5 years.
- A photocopy or the Internet print of the exam scores must be uploaded to the online application system.
Exception: Applicants, who were registered in a graduate program in one of the last two semesters, can apply to the graduate programs with ALES scores that they submitted before. This exception is only valid if the old ALES score of the applicant meets the minimum criteria of the program requirements. Those applicants do not need to take the ALES exams again.
Please use the following table for the conversion of the ALES & New GRE Scores.*
* The conversion table only applies to METU. The effective date is May 21, 2018.
Please use the following table for ALES-GRE equivalence table used before 10.12.2018.
ALES GRE-old GRE-new
55 610 149
60 648 151
65 678 153
70 696 155
75 713 156
80 731 157
85 748 159
90 766 162
95 783 164
100 800 166
For the application, if required by the department, two references must be submitted. It is generally recommended that you to take references from faculty members (including your thesis advisor) who knows your academic skills and experiences and from your managers if you are/were working in a sector.
For the prerequisites about the reference letters, please visit relevant program requirements.
- If you are exempt for submitting reference letters, you can check the "not necessary" box in the online application form.
- Applicants should enter the information regarding the referees in the online application form. The link for submitting a reference letter will be sent to the e-mail address of referees. The link will be active for 48 hours if the time limit passes the link will be expired. Applicants can check the status of references from the online application form.
- It is not necessary to send the hard copies of reference letters by post.
- Obtain notarized or attested transcript(s) in English or Turkish concerning your in progress or completed undergraduate and graduate study you have undertaken.
- Transcripts which are replicated by copying and documents on which name and/or the seal of the issuer are not visible are not accepted.
- For students or graduates of METU copy of transcript(s) obtained through "https://student.metu.edu.tr/ (Student Information (61))" are accepted.
- If you are applying for a PhD, BOTH undergraduate and graduate transcripts are required.
- You must upload .jpeg or .pdf versions of your transcripts to the online application system.
Letter of Intention
The letter of intention should:
- include a short CV and the background related to the applied department, awards, scholarships, meetings, and publications.
- be entered in the space provided in the online application program. If the given space is not sufficient you can upload a .pdf version of your intention letter to the online application system. Please note down "My leter of intention is attached" in the text box.
Only for non-Turkish citizens who graduated from any abroad university
- provided by Equivalence Office, Council of Higher Education (YÖK)
- Recognition Letter must be submitted DURING the application process
Only for Turkish citizens who studied in any abroad university
- Provided by Equivalence Office, Council of Higher Education (YÖK)
- Equivalence Letter must be submitted DURING the application process