THE GRADUATE APPLICATION CALENDAR FOR 2023–2024 SPRING SEMESTER
Program Applications: 27 NOVEMBER 2023 - 29 DECEMBER 2023 (the application system will be closed at 23:59.)
Submission of Graduate Applications Approved by the Graduate Schools to the Departments: 5 JANUARY 2024
Graduate Program Evaluations/Interviews: 8 JANUARY 2024 - 19 JANUARY 2024
Announcement of Graduate Program Evaluation Results: 26 FEBRUARY 2024
For any updates and all dates for official procedures: METU Academic Calendar
- For your questions regarding the application procedures, you can email the responsible person in the staff list announced below.
- If your application is approved by the Graduate School and forwarded to the Department, you can contact your department for your questions regarding the evaluation process or the interviews.
- In order to get information about the registration processes, please contact METU Registrar's Office. (International students must contact International Students Office)
- If you have any technical problems on the application system, please contact our Computer Center using the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
- The information on this page is valid for both Turkish and international applicants. International applicants must also see the notes under the section "International Students" above on this webpage.
- Those who hold both Turkish and foreign passport/citizenship have to choose one of those citizenships. Depending on whether they will apply as a Turkish citizen or a foreign citizen, these students have to follow the procedures (such as entering their information on the online application system, the required documents for application, and paying the application fee) accordingly. It is not allowed to use the criteria for both citizenships. (For instance, if you enter the system as a Turkish citizen, you cannot benefit from the conditional application option, which is provided for only international applicants.)
Who can Apply?
Applicants who wish to pursue a degree at the Graduate School must hold;
- For Master of Science (M.S.) & Master of Arts (M.A.) applications, a bachelor's degree or awaiting graduation degree from a bachelor's degree
- For Doctorate (Ph.D.) on Bachelor of Science (B.S.) applications, a bachelor's degree or awaiting graduation degree
- For Ph.D. application, an M.S./M.A. (or an equivalent) degree, or awaiting graduation from M.S./M.A. (According to YÖK regulations, applicants, who were enrolled in or graduated from a non-thesis program before 6 February 2013, can apply Ph.D. programs using their non-thesis degrees.)
How to Apply?
Application to all METU Graduate School programs will be made online in the link provided below:
- Log in to the link above and fill out the required fields in the Application Form.
- Submit the Online Application Form and the application process is complete.
- You can check your application status on the Main Page by logging in with your email address and password.
Please note: After finalizing your application, you are encouraged to check out the website of the related Graduate School and the Program for the interview dates and last-minute information.
Required Documents for Application
Detailed information about required Documents which will be uploaded to the online application system:
The application fee is 500₺ for the nationals of Turkey. For foreign nationals, the application fee is 55$.
*Applicants with foreign nationalities must pay the application fee by bank transfer to METU's dollar account and upload the proof document to submit and finalize their application. Please check this link for METU's dollar bank account information. It is not allowed to pay the 55$ fee in Turkish Lira.
*Applicants with Turkish Citizenship must pay the fee by credit card.
-Payment will be made for each program separately before you submit your application.
International transfer of the application fee for foreign applicants
Beneficiary: ODTÜ Strateji Geliştirme Dairesi Başkanlığı
Bank: Türkiye İş Bankası
Bank Address: T.C. İş Bankası ODTÜ Şubesi Üniversiteler Mahallesi, Dumlupınar Bulvarı, No:1, 06800 Ankara Turkey
Account no: 4229-3123036
Swift code: ISBKTRIS
IBAN No: TR100006400000242293123036
Exception: Applicants, who are enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program in Turkey (including open education programs), do not have to pay for the application fee.
- Applicants who file more than one application must pay the application fee for each program.
- Applicants who want to get their application fee back within the application period should apply to Graduate Schools with "Payment Refund Application Form". The forms should be filled online and be submitted along with the transaction receipts. The signed form and the receipt must be submitted to the responsible person (via email or in-person) announced in the Staff List for Applications. The deadline for submitting the form is the same date with the deadline for applications.
English Proficiency Exam Score
Applicants must have an English language proficiency score. YÖKDİL, YDS and e-YDS exams are not accepted. Scanned version of the exam scores (.jpeg) or the internet print of the exam scores (.pdf) must be uploaded to the online application system.
Accepted exams are:
- METU-EPE (METU English Proficiency Exam), provided by METU
- TOEFL IBT, provided by ETS *
- IELTS (Academic Version) **
- PTE Academic (Academic Version)
* TOEFL-IBT Special Home Edition exam which is taken on or before 14 April 2022 (not more than 2 years have passed over the exam date) can be used.
** IELTS ACADEMIC exams taken on or before 23 December 2022 (not more than 2 years after the exam date) can be used.
- Exam score is valid for two years.
- METU-EPE exams held in METU NCC are accepted.
- Scores ending in 0.5 or higher are rounded UP to the nearest whole number.
- For METU-EPE and other English proficiency exam equivalence chart please click here.
- The necessary information about the METU-EPE can be found here.
Exception: Native speakers (candidates who are citizen of a country with English as an official language), who studied in a university in which the language of instruction is English, are exempt from submitting a valid English language score. The applicants who satisfy these conditions can check the "I am a native speaker" box in the online application form.
Exception: Candidates registered to a graduate program at METU for at least one semester within the past four semesters as of the date of their application to a graduate program are not required to document their proficiency in English provided that they hold the score determined by the criteria of the program they are applying to.
All programs require Graduate Exam scores. To apply for a graduate program, applicants must have valid ALES, GRE or GMAT exam results that meet the minimum criteria of the programs. A photocopy or the Internet print of the exam scores must be uploaded to the online application system.
Check the exam types and minimum scores of the graduate exams designated by Programs and the Graduate School.
The exam results must be valid as of the date of application:
- ALES scores are valid for 5 years following the announcement of exam results.
- GRE/GMAT certificate is valid for 5 years.
Exception: Applicants, who were registered in a graduate program in one of the last two semesters, can apply to the graduate programs with ALES scores that they submitted before. This exception is only valid if the old ALES score of the applicant meets the minimum criteria of the program requirements. Those applicants do not need to take the ALES exams again.
ALES EA = GRE Quantitative
ALES SÖZ = GRE Verbal
Please use the following table for the conversion of the ALES & New GRE Scores.*
* The conversion table only applies to METU. The effective date is May 21, 2018.
Please use the following table for ALES-GRE equivalence table used before 10.12.2018.
ALES GRE-old GRE-new
55 610 149
60 648 151
65 678 153
70 696 155
75 713 156
80 731 157
85 748 159
90 766 162
95 783 164
100 800 166
For the application, if required by the department, two references must be submitted. It is generally recommended that you to take references from faculty members (including your thesis advisor) who knows your academic skills and experiences and from your managers if you are/were working in a sector.
For the prerequisites about the reference letters, please visit relevant program requirements.
- If you are exempt for submitting reference letters, you can check the "not necessary" box in the online application form.
- Applicants should enter the information regarding the referees in the online application form. The link for submitting a reference letter will be sent to the e-mail address of referees. The link will be active for 48 hours. If the time limit passes, the link will be expired. Applicants can check the status of references from the online application form.
- It is not necessary to send the hard copies of reference letters by post.
- Obtain notarized or attested transcript(s) in English or Turkish concerning your in progress or completed undergraduate and graduate study you have undertaken.
- Transcripts which are taken from E-devlet system are accepted.
- Transcripts on which name and/or the seal of the issuer are not visible are not accepted.
- For students or graduates of METU copy of transcript(s) obtained through "https://student.metu.edu.tr/ (Student Information (61))" are accepted.
- If you are applying for a PhD, BOTH undergraduate and graduate transcripts are required.
- You must upload .pdf versions of your transcripts to the online application system.
Letter of Intention
The letter of intention should:
- include a short CV and the background related to the applied department, awards, scholarships, meetings, and publications.
- be uploaded as a .pdf file on the online application system.
Only for non-Turkish citizens who graduated from any abroad university
- The recognition letter is not required during the application process. However, whether or not the university the applicant graduated from is recognized in Turkey will be checked by our university.
Only for Turkish citizens who studied in any abroad university
- Provided by Equivalence Office, Council of Higher Education (YÖK)
- *Turkish citizens who studied abroad must submit their equivalence letter to the Registrar's Office before graduation in case they get accepted to the program.